Distressed Credit Digest
June 28, 2020
If you wish to subscribe to these posts via email, you can do so at the end of this post.
If you like to view the distressed watchlist, you must first request access it.
Distressed/High Yield Watchlist
Tracking 239 credits from 145 companies
Click here for the full watchlist
Added (No new companies)
Removed (No removed companies)
Top Movers for the Week
Bottom Movers for the Week
‣ American Airlines (AAL) issued $2.5B of new secured debt at a discount to yield 12% this week. The remaining unsecured notes were weaker again. AAL 5.00 ’22 fell 14pts to 57 while AAL 3.75 ’25 fell 12pts to 46.50, both back near their all-time lows.
‣ Viking Cruises (VIKH 5.875 ’21) traded lower by 10pts to 60 yielding 15.2% as cruise line related equity and credit were weaker.
‣ Fresh Markets (TFM 9.75 ’23) bonds traded up 8.50pts to 84.50 on the back of earnings and now yielding 16.8%.
‣ Retail names like Macys (M) and Staples (SPLS) were weaker this week as Covid cases continue to rise. Macys (M 3.625 ’24) were down 7pts to 72 while Staples (SPLS 7.50 ’26) were down 6.50pts to 80.
‣ W&T Offshore (WTI) continues to trade higher as its disclosed it purchased a total of 72.6M of its senior second lien notes at a discount. Since the beginning of April, the company average cost on bond buyback was ~34. On Friday, those bonds closed at 69 yielding 23.7%.
‣ CEC Entertainment filed for bankruptcy this week. Its Chuck E. Cheese entertainment centers remain seriously impacted by Covid. CEC 8.00 ’22 notes ended the week unchanged at 12.
2020 Mid-Year Bankruptcy Recap
As we reach the halfway point of the year, I thought it would interesting to compile a list of businesses that have filed for bankruptcy this year.
Nearly all the companies listed below filed with over $100M in assets and liabilities. Here is the month by month recap, starting from the most recent.
|6/28/20||Chesapeake Energy (CHK)||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|6/25/20||Sable Permian Resources, LLC||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|6/24/20||CEC Entertainment, Inc.||Entertainment & Leisure|
|6/24/20||Jason Industries, Inc. (JASNQ)||Industrial Machinery|
|6/23/20||GNC Holdings, Inc. (GNC)||Retail|
|6/20/20||AAC Holdings, Inc. (AACH)||Health Care|
|6/17/20||Chisholm Oil and Gas Operating, LLC||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|6/15/20||24 Hour Fitness Worldwide, Inc.||Entertainment & Leisure|
|6/15/20||Proteus Digital Health, Inc||Health Care|
|6/15/20||Pyxus International, Inc. (PYXSQ)||Tobacco|
|6/14/20||Interactive Health Solutions, Inc.||Health Care|
|6/14/20||Extraction Oil & Gas, Inc. (XOGAG)||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|6/14/20||Skillsoft Corporation||Software & Services|
|6/9/20||Vista Proppants and Logistics, Inc.||Oil & Gas Services|
|6/3/20||APC Automotive Technologies Intermediate Holdings||Auto & Auto Parts|
|6/1/20||Libbey Glass Inc. (LBYYQ)||Consumer Products|
|6/1/20||Templar Energy LLC||Oil & Gas — E&P|
‣ Chesapeake Energy (CHK) finalized its Restructuring Support Agreement (RSA) with lenders and filed to restructure its business and address its massive debt load. More details about the RSA will come on Monday. Article Link
‣ GNC Holdings, Inc. (GNC) entered bankruptcy with plans to close 800-1200 stores and possibly sell itself. Article Link
|5/29/20||LVI Intermediate Holdings, Inc||Health Care|
|5/27/20||PQ New York, Inc.||Food & Restaurants|
|5/27/20||Tuesday Morning Corporation (TUESQ)||Retail|
|5/26/20||LATAM Airlines Group S.A. (LTMAQ)||Travel|
|5/26/20||Advantage Holdco, Inc.||Travel|
|5/22/20||Unit Corporation (UNTCQ)||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|5/22/20||The Hertz Corporation (HTZ)||Travel|
|5/20/20||Akorn, Inc. (AKRXQ)||Health Care|
|5/19/20||Exide Holdings, Inc.||Auto & Auto Parts|
|5/19/20||Hornbeck Offshore Services, Inc. (HOSSQ)||Oil & Gas Services|
|5/18/20||Centric Brands Inc. (CTRCQ)||Consumer Products|
|5/15/20||Gavilan Resources, LLC||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|5/15/20||J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (JCPNQ)||Retail|
|5/14/20||Ultra Petroleum Corp. (UPLCQ)||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|5/14/20||Intelsat S.A. (INTEQ)||Telecommunications|
|5/10/20||Stage Stores, Inc. (SSINQ)||Retail|
|5/10/20||Avianca Holdings S.A. (AVHOQ)||Travel|
|5/7/20||Neiman Marcus Group LTD LLC||Retail|
|5/6/20||John Varvatos Enterprises, Inc.||Retail|
|5/4/20||GGI Holdings LLC||Entertainment & Leisure|
|5/4/20||Permico Midstream Partners LLC||Oil & Gas Storage & Transportation|
|5/4/20||Chinos Holdings, Inc.||Retail|
‣ During May, we saw a lot retail bankruptcies. Department stores like Neiman Marcus, Stage Stores, and J.C. Penny as well as speciality retail names like John Varvators and JCrew (Chinos).
‣ PQ New York, an owner and operator of bakeries and dining services such as Le Pain Quotidien filed for bankruptcy protection in May. They recently agreed to sell the business. Article Link
‣ Hertz (HTZ) filed for bankruptcy causing its top shareholder, Carl Ichan to sell his ~40% stake for a $2B+ loss. speculators and retail investors took the stock as high as $5.50 before closing at $1.50 on Friday. Which was still 100% higher than where Icahn sold.
|4/26/20||Diamond Offshore Drilling, Inc. (DOFSQ)||Oil & Gas Services|
|4/25/20||Cinemex USA Real Estate Holdings, Inc||Entertainment & Leisure|
|4/23/20||Speedcast International Limited (SPPDQ)||Telecommunications|
|4/14/20||Frontier Communications Corporation (FTRCQ)||Telecommunications|
|4/14/20||Longview Power, LLC||Utilities|
|4/13/20||LSC Communications, Inc. (LKSDQ)||Commerical Services|
|4/13/20||True Religion Apparel, Inc.||Retail|
|4/12/20||Pace Industries, LLC||Metals and Mining|
|4/8/20||TZEW Holdco LLC||Entertainment & Leisure|
|4/7/20||Quorum Health Corporation (QHCCQ)||Health Care|
|4/1/20||Whiting Petroleum Corporation (WLL)||Oil & Gas — E&P|
‣ Frontier Communications (FTR) entered into bankruptcy as it looked to reduce its borrowings by more than $10 billion.. Article Link
‣ Whiting Petroleum Corporation (WLL) filed in April with the consent of the majority of lenders, while also giving current stockholders a small recovery when it plans to emerge in August. Article Link
|3/31/20||Dean & DeLuca New York, Inc.||Food & Restaurants|
|3/27/20||Oneweb Global Limited||Telecommunications|
|3/24/20||Oak Street Redevelopment Corporation||Media|
|3/24/20||Echo Energy Partners I, LLC||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|3/23/20||Sheridan Holding Company||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|3/16/20||Internap Technology Solutions Inc.||Telecommunications|
|3/12/20||Rochester Drug Cooperative||Health Care|
|3/11/20||Modell’s Sporting Goods, Inc||Retail|
|3/10/20||Foresight Energy LP (FELPQ)||Coal|
|3/9/20||Bluestem Brands, Inc.||Retail|
|3/8/20||Art Van Furniture, LLC||Retail|
|3/3/20||Craftworks Parent LLC||Food & Restaurants|
|3/1/20||Pioneer Energy Services Corp. (PESX)||Oil & Gas Services|
|2/20/20||Arena Football League LLC||Entertainment & Leisure|
|2/17/20||Pier 1 Imports, Inc. (PIRRQ)||Retail|
|2/13/20||The McClatchy Company (MNIQQ)||Media|
|2/12/20||RentPath Holdings, Inc.||Commerical Services|
|2/11/20||Murray Metallurgical Coal Holdings, LLC||Coal|
|2/7/20||American Commercial Lines Inc.||Travel|
|2/5/20||GenCanna Global USA, Inc.||Health Care|
‣ Pier 1 Imports (PIR) struggled going into 2020 as it look to close half its stores. It ended up filing in February, unable to find any interested buyers to keep the brand alive and ultimately started a liquidation process.
|1/28/20||Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc (HMNY)||Software & Services|
|1/27/20||BL Restaurants Holding, LLC||Food & Restaurants|
|1/27/20||Lucky’s Market Parent Company, LLC||Food & Restaurants|
|1/27/20||Southland Royalty Company LLC||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|1/24/20||High Mesa, In||Oil & Gas — E&P|
|1/23/20||Fairway Group Holdings Corp. (FWMHQ)||Food & Restaurants|
|1/21/20||McDermott International, Inc. (MDRIQ)||Oil & Gas Services|
|1/6/20||Paddock Enterprises, LLC||Consumer Products|
|1/5/20||Borden Dairy Company||Food & Restaurants|
‣ Helios and Matheson Analytics (HMNY) the owner of MoviePass filed for bankruptcy protection in January due to heavy losses from its subscription-based movie business.
2020 has been a year marked by uncertainty. It has seen a worldwide pandemic, the collapse of oil prices (crude front month futures temporarily traded in negative territory at one point) and what many are labeling “Retail Mania” as risk assets have soared after March’s sell-off.
But added volatility pushed many distressed companies further to the brink of bankruptcy.
I am Rich, the co-founder of Koyfin. As a former distressed high-yield trader now designer/developer, I wanted to share some thoughts and observations I see in the distressed high-yield corporate bond market. During my trading days, I shared a daily distressed digest with clients containing trading color and news. Now, I hope to share them with you. Feel free to follow me on Twitter @koyfinTrader as well as share any feedback. My DMs are always open.